WHAT IS NCOD?
The National Catholic Office for the Deaf is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to Pastoral Ministry with Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons.
NCOD serves 5.7 million Deaf and Hard of Hearing Catholics through its pastoral ministry and through its special advocacy to bishops, pastors and families with Deaf children.
WHAT IS A MINISTRY FOR PERSONS WHO ARE DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING?
A Pastoral Ministry offers Deaf Catholics services and support that fosters spiritual development in their own language. A Pastoral Ministry offers Hard of Hearing Catholics access to the Church’s pastoral care.
NCOD is a Unique Center for this Unique Ministry
WHAT DOES NCOD OFFER?
- Shared opportunities for Religious Education, retreats and renewal programs, among other Deaf and Hard of Hearing Catholics.
- Specially adapted resource materials in Sign language or open/closed captioning that make a Catholic Spiritual life accessible to Catholic children and adults.
- Ongoing professional training for Pastoral Workers. VISION , a magazine that links the community of Deaf and Hard of Hearing and those who serve them.
- Assistance to Catholic parents with Deaf children, especially those who can not access religious education and services for their children.
- Training and opportunities for Catholic Deaf persons to meet the religious and spiritual needs of other Catholic Deaf persons.
- Workshops for professionals who wish to serve the spiritual needs of persons who are Catholic and Deaf.
- Annual conferences where pastoral workers and Deaf Catholics can share their experience, support each other, and enrich their understanding and information about Deaf ministry.
HOW IS NCOD UNIQUE?
In the last several years, Deaf people themselves have increasingly assumed leadership roles and responsibility for their own destiny. This grassroots movement among Deaf persons has had a profound effect on the institutions that serve Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons.
NCOD takes pride in providing continuing opportunities
deaf and hard of hearing persons
become spiritual leaders
the catholic deaf community
Never before has there been more hope for Deaf people to achieve their potential as self-respecting adults. NCOD is grateful for its special unique role, enabling Catholic persons who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing to have rich, full and rewarding spiritual lives.